Different leaders approach getting their teams to a solution differently. Here are some patterns I've observed and their effectiveness...
1) "Let me show you the way"- Leader's focus is to get a task done
- "I know, follow me" style
2) "We don't know, lets figure it out"
- Leader's focus is to let the team find a solution. Leader shepherds the team and is a coach, a facilitator in this case
3) "Let me help the team figure it out themselves"
- Leader's focus is to grow the team
- Leader knows a solution but doesn't give it away to the team. He/she uses techniques like questioning to help focus the team directionally
- In this process, the team solution could be different from what the leader imagined but he/she is fine with it (a different answer/outcome isn't bad if it is directionally correct)